Barradale Farm. A new chapter.

Three and a half years ago we hitched up a fully-loaded stock trailer to our old Landcruiser and moved our family of five, three dogs, two cats, and a turtle named Squirtle 2000kms interstate, to a 265acre off-grid property with zero infrastructure. 


Our dream was to build a sustainable mix farm, entirely from scratch. 

There have been ups, downs, laughter and tears along with the welcome addition of sweet Elsie who made us a family of six. Despite it all, we are glad we are here. We finally settled on a name for our property, which was harder than I anticipated. Our farm sits squarely between two districts so it has been named Barradale Farm, in recognition of that. 

If I had known how hard the last three and a half years would be, I doubt I would have been brave enough to leap so boldly into the unknown. It has certainly been an adventure. When we are older, I'm sure we will look back at these early years on the farm with great fondness. 

Today I can look back at the last three and half years and feel proud. I also look forward with hope and excitement at how much potential this property still holds. 


When I first started blogging, I did so at a blog called 'A Simple Living Journey'. This blog will always remain as a reminder of where we started, and how we got to where we are now. I hope it will be there for my children to read when they are older if they feel so inclined. It is where I cut my teeth as a writer and explored what simple living was, along with all the beauty and richness it has to offer. But for all intents and purposes, it is time sit my first blog aside and start anew. 

One day, we hope this farm of ours will begin to support us in some capacity. We would like to open up a couple of hipcamp sites, host WWOOFers, and continue to establish a hardy boer goat herd along with growing out more cattle. Grant has his wood roach business and we hope to sell heritage chickens in the future. While simple living remains at the very heart of how we live out our lives on the farm, it makes sense for all aspects of our farm to fall under the same, easily identifiable banner. So, from here on out we will be Barradale Farm on the blog, online and in our farming pursuits. 




Essentially, here at Barradale Farm, we are building a sustainable Australian homestead on a shoestring budget. Though homesteading is a movement more closely associated within an American context, I think it is a good term. In Australia, we might call a homestead a hobby or small farm, but homesteading is more complex than that. Homesteading is about providing for your family and community, building resilience and improving self-sufficiency through growing your own food, raising animals, preserving, stockpiling, baking, building and cooking from scratch. There has been a mass exodus of people moving from cities to acreage and rural centres. I think this trend is a clear sign that people are looking to slow down and live a simpler, more sustainable life.  Lockdowns reminded us of the beauty and value to be found in the home and the garden, of the importance in children having space to play and be free. Now we are navigating an increasingly wobbly economic climate, rocketing fuel prices, inflation,  supply issues and extreme weather events which has contributed to supply chain disruptions. It has become apparent how fragile our industrialized food and resource system is, which has inspired many people to seek out a more self-sufficient, homesteading lifestyle. 
   


I hope people, whether they have a suburban backyard, own a rural property or perhaps dream of homesteading, can find encouragement here along with some helpful tips. It is easy to start a farm or a small homestead if you have a lot of money or inherit a property passed down through the generations. But many of us don't. It took all our money and years of hard work to be able to buy our farm and we have spent our first three years here scraping together enough to simply get by. Everything we buy or achieve is a milestone to be celebrated and there remains a long way to go. 

Despite that, we have built a small but functional and comfortable home, machinery shed/workshop/wood roach palace and wood shed. We have improved our road access, installed a solar system and put in a header tank. Our livestock numbers are continuing to grow and we are slowly establishing productive gardens as time and money allow. We have kilometres of fencing to finish, an orchard to fence and plant, pasture to improve, and a deck to build....the list goes on, but it likely always will. That is the nature of this lifestyle. It will never be finished, there will always be ideas to explore, livestock to rotate, equipment to repair, food to harvest and gardens to tend. 




But perhaps that is what appeals to us. Life here on the farm is ever-evolving. The seasons change, animals are born, gardens mature, and nature beckons. There is a feeling of realness, of connection to the food we produce, to the animals we raise, to the things that are fundamental to the very essence of life.  Raising animals, growing food, maintaining biodiversity.....they are real. Their value doesn't shift like the latest trends or fast fashion do. The whole of humanity relies on them, no matter a person's financial or social standing in this world.

I hope you continue to follow along here at Barradale Farm, and if you are here from A Simple Living Journey, I thank you for your kindness and support over the years, and I look forward to continuing to share our lives with you. 

Much love,
Emma
xx

18 comments

  1. This new blog is a good idea, Emma. Maybe its because I'm tired but I can't find a subscribe button. Best Wishes Donnasbackyardfarm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately Blogger has removed the email subscription function Donna, I'm not sure if they will bring it back. xx

      Delete
    2. If you use a feed collector like the free ‘Feedly’ you can subscribe that way :)

      Delete
  2. Love your new blog...very upbeat and adventuresome. You are truly surrounded by life in every way. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for your encouragement Andrea, its a bit of a nerve wracking move as I hope I don't loose too many readers with the shift, but long term I think it is an important transition. xx

      Delete
  3. Very happy to move over and continue to read about your life and adventures on Barradale Farm I have read your blog from the beginning finding my way to you via Rhonda H. Sadly bloglovin will not let me add the new blog to the reader, even though the old one is there. I will continue the new blog even though I might not be up to the minute with your posts all the time. I wish you great happiness and success as you continue to expand your homestead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats lovely to hear Janice! Rhonda has very kindly sent quite a few readers my way over the years. It's lovely to know we share a readership with like minded souls. I'm not familiar with bloglover. When I post I always link it to Facebook and Instagram to help people know when to check in if that's helpful? The links to them are in my sidebar.

      Otherwise I hope to get a new post a couple of times a week so hopefully there will always be something to read when you do pop by. xx

      Delete
    2. Hi Janice - in case it helps, the RSS feed address for this blog is https://barradalefarm.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default - it might help to paste that into Bloglovin to add it (that's what I used to add it to the RSS reader I use).

      Delete
  4. Well done Emma ... I'll follow you on over to here. I always enjoy your posts. A farm (& a garden & probably also a Home) is never really finished in my opinion ... always evolving & making new changes as time & $$ allow. I love reading your writing Emma. Your family are just wonderful. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! I appreciate the support. You are right of course, a simple live is always evolving as we transition through different seasons of life. That is why so many people are looking to simplify I think and seek out a different way of living. Thank goodness!

      And I think they are pretty special too. xx

      Delete
  5. Hi Emma, I have always enjoyed your post on your other blog will definitely follow you on this one. Taking that leap of faith at the beginning was a giant step but you are doing an amazing. I wish you all the best with this new blog. Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased to have you coming along Pauline. It was bonkers really in hind sight. But we just didn't want to wait another 10 years and risk property prices rising to save for a bigger property. Sometimes you just need to jump in the deep end! xx

      Delete
  6. I enjoy it far too much to stop Maggie! Thankyou for making the move with me, it means alot. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun! I just stumbled onto your blog. We have been on our land 22 years and still a real work in progress, lots of changing our minds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! Yes there has been lots of times we change our mind as we try and work our way forward too. I completely understand! xx

      Delete
  8. Thanks Robyn! It does feel like we have committed to stay here, there have been a few wobbles, but we seem to be finding our feet, and there is plenty of light at the end of the tunnel. Though no doubt there will be plenty of bumps in the road along the way. I so appreciate your tips, and advice along with your support over the years. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never commented before but have been reading along for quite a while, and really enjoy seeing a new post pop-up and following along with your journey. I will definitely be reading along with this new chapter - it's always rather nice to have a fresh start, a new digital "home".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Celia for following along! And that's a really lovely way to think of it, a new digital home. I feel like this new blog is definitely going to be that. I have alot still to write about. xx

      Delete

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a comment, your comments and sharing of your own lives with me means alot and I'll always endeavour to reply.

If you have enjoyed your time visiting us at Barradale Farm, please consider sharing this blog on your various social media platforms. It's free, only takes a second and is essential in helping keep blogs like mine going.

The big wide web relies on reader interaction to help the mysterious algorithm to recommend my blog to those also looking to simplify their lives.

Blessings to you and yours. xx

Powered by Blogger.