A shemozzle of a week and a weekend reading list

What a week!


The animals were ready to mutiny and this week I have had to round up wayward goats and Hagrid our giant strong-willed Anatolian shepherd more times than I would like to count. I threatened goat curry would be on the menu if there was so much as a cloven hoof out of line again. So far today they have decided to behave. Naturally, they always escaped when I had a toddler in tow, at nap time. Anyone who has ever had a toddler knows that if things are going to go wrong, it will always happen when the toddler is tired and cranky. The cows escaped to the neighbours and there were dead chickens to boot. Walrus the goat is still pregnant, which seems impossible considering she’s nearly as wide as she is tall. Her udder is swollen and virtually  dripping with milk and all the other signs of imminent birth are present, except the kid. Then there’s the plague of cabbage moths and invisible basil-munching critters. I have put my foot down at the basil-munching critters and brought in pyrethrum spray. It seems to have helped my perennial basil, I'll have to wait and see if it helps my sweet basil. Summer is coming and I am determined there WILL be basil this year! Then there has been the usual juggle and bumps in the road that come with parenting a bunch of kids. The riot act was read, and peace resumed. 


It seems it was one of those weeks where everything I turned my hand to, ended in disaster. Yesterday I did the grocery shopping and I kept finding myself in a pickle just as the same kind Irish grandmother passed by. First, the trolly escaped from me with Elsie half in it, her little legs askew. Then I got tangled on the shelving and looked like a right numpty. Then I was either dropping something or climbing a shelf to get an item just out of reach. She had a laugh each time she passed me and she kindly suggested I go back to bed. Ha! Perhaps an afternoon nap with Elsie is in order. 

I have a mostly written blog post I started on Sunday and didn't manage to get back to all week and a nearly finished vlog for YouTube. Perhaps I am not actually behind, but rather I'm ahead with things to share for next week. It's all in the framing, yes? 

Below are some links to things I enjoyed this week and thought you might like them too. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. 

Much love, 
Emma
xx

Treading My Own Path  
REDcycles soft plastic collection suspension - and why it might be a good thing

A wonderful short film. 

I love goats, and I love using them for this purpose. 

This is a free online event, you just need to sign up! It's going to be fabulous as both David and Morag are excellent to listen to. Full of wisdom, experience and encouragement. 

"A unique ice cream is being launched using Indigenous bush tucker plants including Davidson's plum, peppermint gum, strawberry gum and wattleseed." The proceeds will be going to a grassroots social enterprise so if you see it on the shelves be sure to check it out! I know I'll be splashing out to try it, I think normalising indigenous foods is an excellent thing, and who better to do it than those who have been consuming them for 60 thousand or so years? 

Costa Georgiadis: Heart and Soil. I mean really, what's not to love about listening to Costa? An Aussie legend. 

I loved this post by GDonna, I'm sure you will too. 

2 comments

  1. Sorry to hear you had such a hard week. I hope next week will be better (sending good vibes your way).
    I love your dog's name. So fitting for a big guy like that. My daughter named her cat Hagrid because he had giant feet as a kitten and promised to be really big. He turned out to have a heart condition, so he's on the small side, but in his mind, he is a giant.
    Thank you for the links!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only just found this in my comments section, I must have accidentally turned on moderation. Hagrid is a beautiful soul and we think it is a great name too. This week has been far better, twin kids arrived safely which is always wonderful. xx

      Delete

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a comment, your comments and sharing of your own lives with me means alot and I'll always endeavour to reply.

If you have enjoyed your time visiting us at Barradale Farm, please consider sharing this blog on your various social media platforms. It's free, only takes a second and is essential in helping keep blogs like mine going.

The big wide web relies on reader interaction to help the mysterious algorithm to recommend my blog to those also looking to simplify their lives.

Blessings to you and yours. xx

Powered by Blogger.