Small jobs with huge rewards and interesting weekend links

Well, sadly Grant's holidays are finished and he was back at work this week. We have loved having him at home. We didn't get as much done as we planned, but we did make some good progress. Relaxing and resting are important too and I am glad that he got plenty of that in. 

The last few days have been drizzly so he has worked on some small but incredibly rewarding jobs for me.

Our solar system is very small. Because of this, we have 12V lighting to save power. It does fine but I have wanted a light over the kitchen table for yonks. So I gave an old banged-up lampshade a coat of chalk paint I bought as a $10 sample pot from Bunnings. Then he re-wired it to 12V with parts he bought online and hung it over the table for me. The difference is amazing! Finally, I can work at the kitchen table at night sewing or writing when it is dark. He also re-wired our old bedside lamps to 12V which means I can finally read an actual book at night in bed, and not just on the app on my phone. Such luxury!  


I have wanted a little shelf by the door for quite a while so he rustled up some timber from the old cattle yards and found some brackets in the shed. Then he built this little shelf near the back door to store garden tools and items on. So handy! When you live in a tiny home with a lot of people like we do, these kinds of nifty storage solutions make such a difference. 


 One of the challenges of living in a yurt is that they are a poorly insulated building, which is difficult in a hot Australian summer. The dome in the roof is lovely in winter, but in summer the hot sun bores down through it. Though you can open it up to let hot air escape which is a wonderful feature. In summer we usually put shade under the dome and it's not a job Grant enjoys. It's awkward and really high up. I am too short to reach, which frankly I am not sad about. Anyway, he pulled out the frame, mended it and popped in a piece of cream-shade cloth and the boys helped him get it up there. It makes a huge difference.  

Sooty found Grant working on the ladder to hang the light very interesting, though I think she was slightly concerned. 

Realistically none of these jobs are huge, but together they make an immense difference to the quality and ease of our lives here. I am absolutely thrilled to have them done. 

Below I have put together some links I thought you might enjoy or find helpful. 
Much love,
Emma 
xx

I recently came across this series and we are really enjoying it. It's about a British family who goes back in time and lives as they would have in the 1900s. This is a dodgy YouTube version so the quality is poor, but you can stream it and pay for it on other services if you like. We are two episodes in and the kids are enjoying it. 

I'm sure many of you read Grandma Donnas blog. She and her husband live out their own historical studies, researching old diaries, newspapers and more to do it. I really enjoy her blog and her reflections on bygone days. We live here quite simply, with no hot water in the kitchen, minimal power, and few kitchen gadgets aside from a stick blender and electric beater. We make our toast on the Aga in winter and under the gas grill in summer. Our kettle is a stovetop kettle, our home is small and very modest. We live out of town and don't go in unless necessary. It's normal to only leave the farm once or twice a week. Because of these things, I feel a certain connection to those in the past. 

This is a short clip of a modern-day couple living their dreams as a 19th-century couple. I love how all people are different and really admire those who pave their own paths and chose to live such interesting and different lives. 

Jenny has many beautiful patterns on her blog, many of them free which you can download. If you love sewing and embroidery as I do her blog is a real treat and I really enjoyed this post. 

A lovely encouraging post as we come into 2023.

Always a good reminder to know that shops are actively working to entice you to buy things you don't need, won't last and will clutter up your house. To stop doing is like exercising a muscle, but knowing their tricks and tactics makes it easier. 














6 comments

  1. Small jobs can be so satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting the video links, Emma. I have been watching the 1949's House and have enjoyed it. Blessings, Marguerite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying it! we liked it too. :) xx

      Delete
  3. It's amazing how satisfying a few smaller jobs completed can make us. I am working through a list of small tasks this month, and a few of them have made daily life that bit easier. I couldn't help smiling at the 'light' you now have to enjoy some handwork in the evenings! :-)
    Also, thank you for listing my blog - you are very kind. xx I look forward to following the other links you've shared. Have a great week, Emma! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those small tasks can make such a difference. I'm glad the things you have done are making your life a little easier! It's good to appreciate the small blessings in our lives. Blessings to you and yours too. xx

      Delete

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a comment, your comments and sharing of your own lives with me means alot and I'll always endeavour to reply.

If you have enjoyed your time visiting us at Barradale Farm, please consider sharing this blog on your various social media platforms. It's free, only takes a second and is essential in helping keep blogs like mine going.

The big wide web relies on reader interaction to help the mysterious algorithm to recommend my blog to those also looking to simplify their lives.

Blessings to you and yours. xx

Powered by Blogger.