Farm progress and weekend links

Well, the boys have been back to school for two weeks now and Elsie and I are adjusting to the change in routine after having them home for so long. Elsie has been asking daily "where Will-Will, where 'enry, where Gussy?" Which is both incredibly sweet and also a bit heartbreaking. 



Grant's job is going well and he continues to be very happy and is thoroughly enjoying his work. He has started in a new role this week which he is pleased about. 

Though things are good, the last few weeks have been filled with small challenges. The kinds of challenges that by themselves are no big deal, but when they come together it can be tedious. I have been fighting a low-grade virus, nothing notable but the kind of thing that saps your energy and symptoms such as a sore throat/headaches/migraines/body aches/fatigue come and go. Maisie the pup had a nasty abscess that required surgery. The gas fridge died so we took the opportunity to buy a new super energy efficient one, which meant we had to push forward with installing the new solar system before we were quite ready. I wrote about the new solar system HERE. There was a child with headlice which fortunately was caught early but still, it required the whole family to be treated and to do the necessary hygiene cleaning of linen, towels, cushions, throws and thorough vacuuming/mopping. I know these days they say you don't need to be as thorough as they used to, but I am not remotely convinced. It only takes one particularly resilient louse to survive to restart the whole cycle. I would much rather be overly cautious than under. The caravan needed a deep clean due to discovering a mildew problem, Grant's car has been in and out of action... I don't even remember what else now. There have just been constant hiccups that have required time, energy and money. 

But such is life. At least the car is fixed, the caravan is fresh and clean, the house has been deep cleaned, the new solar is on and the new fridge is a blessing indeed. The dog is thankfully recovering too, albeit more slowly than I would like.

In between, we have been busy cleaning up some of the piles of stuff around the farm. There is scrap metal to take to recycling and rubbish to remove. We don't have any rubbish removal services here so we must cart everything in and out ourselves. Since we try to do as much as we can utilising up-cycled and recycled materials, stuff accumulates and needs to be periodically sorted through. Grant has also finished the shelving in the loft which has given Angus and Henry their own rooms, much to their delight. I have been continuing to declutter the yurt, deep cleaning as I go and doing the usual things it takes to keep a family of six ticking along.

Angus is pleased to have his own little room and space for his things. One day I will get around to painting the plywood and varnishing/oiling the hardwood. Probably after we have built the deck and there is more room to shuffle things around. 


The wall behind Angus's bed in this photo is a set of shelves facing Henry's side of the loft. 

Most importantly there have been birthdays to celebrate. Sweet Angus turned 12. He is a delightful child with big brown gentle eyes, quiet nature and a desire to do well in everything he tries. His kindness is most apparent when he is spending time with animals and his little sister. He has a wonderful sense of humour and particularly enjoys music and art. He is learning guitar and for his birthday he asked for a harmonica.  I was concerned that having a child learning to play the harmonica in such a small space would be a slightly painful experience, but I have been pleasantly surprised. He is progressing in leaps and bounds. He had a few mates come for a sleepover and they planned to go camping. They discussed it and planned it in great detail, but when it got dark they became frightened by the sounds of the bush. At 10:30pm Grant helped cart their stuff inside and they bedded down happily in the loft. They were very funny. 

Then little Elsie turned three today, though we are celebrating her birthday tomorrow as a family. Oh how time flies. She has recently weaned and so the chapter of my life that has revolved around sweet babies, funny toddlers and chubby hands is nearing its end too. I turn 40 in a few months and I have been pregnant or breastfeeding for 10 of those years, nearly half of my adult life. It makes my heart ache to know this season is coming to a close. These children of mine have been my life's biggest blessing. 


I hope you have a wonderful weekend, and I hope to see you again next week. 

Much love,
Emma
xx

Interesting links

For those new here, on Fridays, I often like to share a newsy post as well as links to articles, videos and things I have found interesting, inspiring or helpful throughout the week. 

A great documentary and well worth a watch. 

so surprises here, but a worth while article.
Because Helen Garner is a bit of a legend. 

Grandma Donna
I enjoyed this post of Grandma Donnas

I recently discovered this post by Dorcus Smucker and enjoyed poking through her blog.

A great listen


2 comments

  1. Another lovely post Emma. Happy Birthday wishes to your two sweet children - hard to believe Elsie is 3 - seems only yesterday she was born!!
    I wanted to let you know (& you may already know this) ... we went through awful years of head lice - it seemed to be so persistent as we had my sons & stepsons living here too & it was always One of them that had it & it spread!! Someone recommended to me to use (I think a teaspoon or maybe half a teaspoon) of teatree oil when they wash their hair. Just use it in the final rinse with water. I tried this & my gosh it worked a treat! I don't recall ever having any head lice with my boys again. I just thought I would share this with you as it was a simple & inexpensive trick - those headlice products can cost a small fortune if I recall correctly. xx (I should mention that I didn't notice any smell or any nasty residue using this in their hair either).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! I do use a little spray bottle with tea tree in it occasionally but your tea tree rinse is a really good idea. Thankfully we seem to have knocked them on the head and they didn't linger. I also use conditioner and comb hair very carefully to get every last egg, being especially careful of those the comb might leave behind. It takes a lot of time but worth it. I can't believe she is three either, she suddenly seems so big! xx

      Delete

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a comment, your comments and sharing of your own lives with me means alot and I'll always endeavour to reply.

If you have enjoyed your time visiting us at Barradale Farm, please consider sharing this blog on your various social media platforms. It's free, only takes a second and is essential in helping keep blogs like mine going.

The big wide web relies on reader interaction to help the mysterious algorithm to recommend my blog to those also looking to simplify their lives.

Blessings to you and yours. xx

Powered by Blogger.