Building a permaculture garden and a new season

Hello there! 

It's been a bit since I have popped in, and I apologise. We got into a rut at our place.  Progress and projects seemed to crawl along, and everything felt like a struggle. It happens to us all, but the important thing is to remember it is only a season, and that we can pull ourselves out of it. Especially with good family and friends around us. 

This is Hoopla our British alpine dairy goat, just popping in to say hello too. 

Back in May, I started a permaculture course with David Holmgren and Beck Lowe through Melliodora and it's been wonderful to connect with like-minded people all over Australia and the world. I'm nearing the end of it now and it has helped to clarify a priorities list and given me ways in which to talk to Grant about what is important to me. We have been tinkering with designs and working out what is of high value to us. We have been working on the yurt garden (which in a permie sense is our zone 1) over winter as it is something we could do with very little money utilizing what we have here. We have used large rocks from the farm to build garden boarders and paths, used timber logs from the forest as stepping stones and then we have been bringing in either a load of compost or gravel for the paths once a fortnight. There are still a few more loads to go, but in the meantime, we have been sowing seeds and planting seedlings in the garden spaces as they are built. We managed to find a pond and outdoor setting for free off Facebook Marketplace which has been amazing. Already there has been a huge transformation and I can't wait until it matures and fills out.  I'll be sure to share the design with you all once I have finished tinkering with it, though as gardens are always evolving, it too will no doubt change. 


One of the best things about doing the permaculture course has been the people. The teachers David and Beck are amazing, but it's been delightful being able to meet so many people on the same path. It seems like Instagram and Facebook have gotten incredibly loud with either nastiness or endless advertising of things we can't afford or are not realistic to our way of life. I miss the days when everyone was blogging and sharing their stories and pictures of their gardens cobbled together out of this and that, their projects on the go and their modest DIY housing projects. Now it seems people are either a professional interior designer or a florist! Which I know of course isn't true, it's just what the algorithms want us to see. But golly it's annoying. Rhonda Hetzel is back on her blog Down to Earth, and it was a timely reminder to share here what we have been up to. 



Turning 40, falling into a rut and my last baby suddenly seeming grown....Well, I lost myself there for a bit. We are also quite isolated on our property, primarily due to the driveway and I struggle with that. But with Grant's encouragement, I have been making a big effort to catch up with friends for coffee or dinner in town and it's brought much-needed balance to my life. I've also started attending a bible study fortnightly through our church and the people in it are wonderful. To do things just for me again after being deep in the season of mothering and our 4th baby has indeed been a blessing. 

But with spring at our doorstep, it seems like a new season is here in my life too. Having broken the back of the yurt-yard garden, I've been reminded of the potential this somewhat wild property holds. 

The next job to tackle will be to build a new chook yard, expand our flock and then we will focus all our energy on starting the deck. We have decided that aside from the odd day on 'can't be ignored' farm jobs, the undercover deck with two more bedrooms, a small bathroom and a summer kitchen needs to be our absolute priority. For the sake of everyone's sanity. The boys are getting bigger and I have resumed theological study part-time and need a quiet space to work. The yurt is a sweet little home but it is not quiet, nor spacious. 

This introvert needs a quiet nook all of her own! 


Well, I'll keep today's post short as I have things I need to get stuck into study-wise. But it's good to touch base with you all and I apologise it's been a while! But all is well in our little corner of the world, how are things with you? 

Much love,
Emma
xx

 



16 comments

  1. Lovely to see your post pop up Emma. And yes - wonderful to see Rhonda back blogging again. I totally agree with you regarding Instagram. Gosh that baby of yours sure has grown. I love your pond area - it looks such a restful place to sit. But I'll bet you don't get much chance to actually SIT there. Take care of yourself Emma - I am going through "a tricky season" here too. 😉 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! Yes she is getting to be such a big girl, and the boys are seeming incredibly grown up too. It's a really lovely place to sit, and we certainly make the most of it. I hope your tricky season comes to an end soon, sending love. xx

      Delete
  2. What a delight to see your update! I can relate to the contemplative period also, although we are definitely in different seasons in life. I'm glad you are finding "Emma activities," that feed your soul.
    I wish for you the very best always.
    God bless you,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh look your comments are working again Patricia! So good! Im a bit like a little mole at times, I burrow in so focussed on what I'm doing that I loose sense of the world outside the farm, but whenever I make the effort to broaden my horizon I'm better for it and I enjoy it. I have always been this way when my children are small, and being out on the farm increases that tendency. Sending love to you and yours! xx

      Delete
  3. So great to see an update. I really love the way you're setting up your garden. I hope you'll share more pictures as it grows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie! I will certainly share more pictures as we plant out more areas and as it develops. It is always so good to see how a garden fills out. Right now the plants are all tiny seedlings as its the most cost effective way for us to build a garden. I will mulch once the weather warms up a bit too. Right now I'm letting the sun warm the soil and giving the seedlings a chance to get out the soil without being munched by insects that make their home in the mulch. The insect pressure here can be bonkers. xx

      Delete
  4. Emma, sweet friend, I am so joyful for you! Seeing small changes over time expand to bigger ones gives the heart a mighty dose of satisfaction and joy...and that's so obviously happening at your place. That course sounds fabulous - like minded people, yes, so very important in light of how 'lost' online support has become by the dehumanised changes in Fb and IG. God bless your precious family and may His creativity flow abundantly through each of you as you grown your homestead. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Jennifer! The garden has certainly been a much slower projects then I thought it would be when we started it, there have been a few stages and it took us a while to work out what would really work best for us. It seems many are tired of the current platforms, I wonder if there will be a migration towards more intentional online communities once again? xx

      Delete
  5. So lovely to have both you and Rhonda back on user friendly blogs, love seeing your updates and your honesty is refreshing. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Emma, Great to read your recent post. I love what you are doing in your yurt garden.....brilliant work. Thank-you for sharing your amazing journey. Take good care. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness your goat is adorable! We had a Molly goat many years ago. I really really want a goat!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a gorgeous girl, and so friendly too. She loves a cuddle.

      Delete
  8. I love your blog and nice to hear what is happening in your world. I'm seriously thinking about doing a permaculture course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im really enjoying the permaculture course! It has certainly helped me to look more at the design of our property and I have really enjoyed getting to know like minded people around the place. :)

      Delete
  9. Your yurt garden is looking lovely - I love the wooden stepping stones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your garden looks incredible, Emma. I love the photo the goat...so funny! Your daughter has really grown. What a sweetie. Glad you are finding the social connections you need. That's so important.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a comment, your comments and sharing of your own lives with me means alot and I'll always endeavour to reply.

If you have enjoyed your time visiting us at Barradale Farm, please consider sharing this blog on your various social media platforms. It's free, only takes a second and is essential in helping keep blogs like mine going.

The big wide web relies on reader interaction to help the mysterious algorithm to recommend my blog to those also looking to simplify their lives.

Blessings to you and yours. xx

Powered by Blogger.