Feeding a family on a budget

Feeding a family on a budget is a challenge that many people are currently facing. With the cost of living and the rate of inflation going up before our eyes,  I thought I would share some ways we as a family of six work to keep our grocery bills down. 

Firstly going to the shops is a two-hour return trip for me, so I tend to minimise the number of shops I go to. If you are in town, you might find that sourcing specials at various supermarkets each week can save money further. Generally though, minimising the trips to the supermarket is significantly better for your budget, as it reduces the temptation to buy unnecessary or extra items. 

I do a fortnightly shop at Aldi and then the next fortnight I go to Coles. I shop online and click-and-collect when I can. For a top-up mid-week shop (milk etc) Grant nips into our local IGA. Overall I find Aldi a big cost-saver, though they do not have everything we like to buy. 

seasonal veggies picked from the garden

Shopping online allows me to; 

  • Take my time in planning the shop and not feel rushed or under pressure by having a toddler with me, reducing impulse buys. 
  • Saves time and reduces temptation.
  • Look closely at specials and plan meals to maximise these. 
  • Double-check what's in my pantry and fridge to ensure nothing goes to waste.
The first thing I do is look for meat on special. Meat is one of the most expensive items we buy so rather than plan meals and then buy ingredients, I buy the ingredients I can get which are the best value for money and then plan meals to suit.

When buying meat, I buy it in the biggest portions I can afford. Buying larger portions and cutting it up yourself to suit your needs can save a lot of money. I can buy nice a cryovac piece of pork for $13-$15/kg depending on the cut compared to pork steaks at $20/kg. Alternatively, you can often get cryovac blade roast on sale for $15/kg compared to blade steak for $18-$20/kg at Coles. As a one-off occurrence, this might not seem like a big saving but over the weeks, months and years these savings add up considerably. I then cut the meat as I need it. 

Many people are daunted by the idea of cooking a large piece of meat but they needn't be. It's not difficult nor time-consuming to quickly section up a large piece of meat, especially if you have a good sharp knife. I also find that cryovac meat is more tender, as the cryovac process allows the meat to age well for longer. 

Shopping locally

In an ideal world, I would shop at all the independently owned places and buy directly from the farmer. Realistically we are a large single-income family without the freezer space at the moment to store half a cow. If you can manage it, it's an excellent way to go. 

However, I do go to an independent fruit and vegetable shop for all of our veggie needs. I find the veggies better quality and significantly cheaper. It is also easier to see what is in season and grown locally. If you are on the Mid-North Coast check out The Growers Market. They are excellent value for money, super friendly and offer old-fashioned service, even taking your veggies to your car for you. 

Depending on where you are you might have access to bulk whole food outlets or CSA's. Do your research and work out what suits you and your budget best, there are all kinds of options. 

Buying or growing seasonal fruit and vegetables means you it can be worth preserving some to put away. Here I am making oven-baked semi-dried tomatoes. I can make them much cheaper then I can buy in the store. 

Bartering

If you have some friends who raise chickens but you don't/can't for whatever reason can you barter for some eggs? Are you able to fix machinery? Service a car? Can you sew or bake? Most of us have all kinds of skills that someone else needs. It's just a matter of investing in a reciprocal relationship. 
  • Picking fruit from an elderly neighbour's tree in exchange for homemade jam/preserves.
  • Do a day's work in exchange for produce
  • Trading baked bread/homemade goodies (farmers are often incredibly busy and tired at the end of the day!)
  • Doing bookwork
  • Managing online/social media accounts
  • Babysitting
  • Trading mechanical skills
  • Trading mending/sewing/knitting skills.
  • Feeding farm animals to allow farmers a much-needed night or two away
The key to bartering is that it is a relationship built on mutual exchange and trust. I have a friend who I do a little social media/computer work for in exchange for some meat. They give their roosters to a work friend who pays them back with curries made with the rooster for their freezer. 

With our friends, I feel like I am getting the good end of the deal with beautiful pasture-raised meat but they feel grateful for not having to sit in front of a computer which they hate. Win-win. 


Know your prices

If you keep track of how much you spend on things, you will know a good deal when you stumble upon it. Unfortunately in Australia, our grocery market is dominated and controlled by three main companies that pay the farmers low prices but then upmark their products considerably. 

Many people love to shop at Aldi and some of their lines are better priced than Coles and Woolies, especially their snacks and processed foods. However, if you can't get out of there without stopping in the middle aisle to pick up things you had no intent to buy, it's not saving you any money. 

Supermarket sales are usually advertised on Wednesday nights and start Thursday mornings. If you watch them for a while you will find the sales cycle through. If you can buy an extra few items of necessities you know you will use, you can work out a system that over time means you're never paying full price for many things. This is especially useful with items like eucalyptus oil/lavender oil/tea/coffee/chocolate/toothpaste/toiletries/soap/canned goods etc which all have a long and stable shelf life.  

Learn how to make the basics from scratch

I cook a lot but I am not a fancy cook. Meals are nourishing but simple. Soups, stirfries, stews, salads and oven bakes. If I have the oven on, I try to use it for more than one thing. Many things can be cooked in the oven easily, like sausages. I used to fry them in a pan but now I whack them in a big baking tray and cook them in the oven while the potatoes cook, turning them a couple of times. 

The key to keeping your sanity whilst cooking from scratch for a bit family is to keep it simple. Butter, sugar, honey, flour, cocoa, milk, dried fruit, nuts, oats, jam, baking powder and chocolate chips can be turned into an endless array of treats. I have a couple of basic recipes I tweak to suit almost any situation. 


Kids can bake treats, they often love to do it. It's good to get them involved in the kitchen where ever possible. 

If you run out of bread, scones will get you through till you need to go to the shop for more than one thing.  This should be avoided as each time we go to the shops we are bombarded with advertising and the temptation to stray off-budget. Rhonda Hetzel from Down to Earth has a good scone recipe in her book, or you can find it here. Scone recipe

A good butter cake recipe will see you through most of your cake needs. Add apple and cinnamon for an apple tea cake, banana for a banana cake (just add the milk last as you will need less) cocoa for a chocolate cake. You can ice it with traditional icing or decorate it with fresh cream and strawberries, or spread some melted butter on it and sprinkle cinnamon sugar. The flexibility is endless. 

Another great money saver is homemade muesli bars. A box of muesli bars is between $6-$10 depending on the brand and size of the box. But you can make them for just a few dollars and double the volume. 
When it comes to homemade muesli bars, I don't buy fancy/expensive ingredients to add to them. As long as you keep the volume of dry ingredients to wet, they should work out. I usually add a combination of choc chips, sultanas, chopped nuts, and chopped dried fruit, depending on what I have on hand. 

Another great snack is homemade popcorn, it is especially great as an afterschool snack. You can make a massive bowl of it for next to nothing. There is no need to buy microwave popcorn packets, just buy the kernels and pop them in your biggest pot over the stove, shaking regularly. Add butter and salt and you have a simple, healthy, quick snack. 

Growing your own herbs

Even if you live in a small space, or have an apartment with a balcony, you may still be able to grow some of your own herbs. Parsley, oregano, coriander, spring onion and basil are all a great place to start. Herbs from the shops are expensive and don't last well in the fridge. However, they add a big punch to a dish and can turn even the most simple meal into something really delicious. If you are not a confident gardener, it may be a great place to start. 


Managing expectations

Unfortunately, kids are bombarded with advertising and can develop their own set of expectations of what they think is 'good' food. In our home, we talk about homemade food being better, and shop-bought items being the lesser option. Grant backs me in this as he is genuinely excited by home cooking and treats and the kids have developed the same sense of enthusiasm. 

I try and ensure each meal has something each child will happily eat, and I don't shy away from challenging foods. I have found that slow acclimatisation to challenging foods over a long period has ensured my children eat most things. For example, Henry doesn't like fresh tomatoes, so I only pop 1/4 of a cherry tomato in his salad. I don't care if he slathers it in tomato sauce. As long as it is eaten, it's all good. Alternatively, each child can pick one thing on their plate they don't like. As children grow their ability to rationalize increases and it becomes easier to encourage them to eat a wider variety of food. Elsie has been my fussiest child, and I often have to feed her dinner or things she is not enamoured with. However, over time, encouraging her to just try one bite has helped her to be more adventurous when it comes to food. She will now eat a spoon with veggies and meat on it. Once her initial hesitation has passed, she will often exclaim that it is "very yummy Mummy!" 

I also put realistic, smaller serves on their plates. They can always go for seconds and it reduces food waste which is a huge money saver. I hate to throw out perfectly good food. 

How are you coping with the cost of living chrisis? What cost-saving tips can you add to this list? 

Much love,
Emma
xx



4 comments

  1. Delighted to read another of your posts. All excellent points. I'm a bit like you and tend to make simple meals of protein, vegetable/salad. We too tend to skip the middle aisles and try to focus on ingredients rather than processed. Rhonda from Down to Earth has also said she is making a lot of the meals she grew up with and prefers them. So too Grandma Donna from gonna blog. Maybe there is a movement back to what some may call old fashioned
    cooking! Or it could be that with high prices people are trying to get more nutrition for their dollars. In NZ we have 2 supermarket chains or duopoly , New World and Woothworths, so a similar problem to Australia. I sometimes watch Frugal Queen in France on You Tube. The prices she quotes at t times are high to her but would be good here. Love the pics you added of your cosy, happy home. Have a lovely week Emma from NZ Ingrid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma. I remember Grandma Donna saying she wondered if the wide variety of foods we eat today was harder on our stomachs as she like Rhonda prefer a simpler diet as she feels better for it. To be honest, so do I.

      When I look back at old fashioned cook books, meals were certainly less complex. I often wonder if the appearance of shows like Master Chef have fundamentally changed what the current generations consider as a good "home cooked meal" Also children often like familiar, reassuring foods and I can't help but wonder if the variety we eat as a rule makes it more challenging for the child who is apprehensive about food. I mean when I was a kid and we went out to lunch we would get hot chips or go to a bakery and that was a special treat. My children today would ask for either sushi, mexican, KFC, burgers or pizza if given a choice. So different. Whilst it's great to have choice, I do wonder if all that choice raises expectations in the home as lots of people seem to talk about fussy children or their children not eating things, and I think that was less common in the past maybe.

      Personally I love old fashioned cooking, winter is my time to shine when the wood oven is on. I just love it. I hope you have a good week too! xx

      Delete
  2. Yes, I think that could be right. Actually programmes like Master chef have never been my cup of tea. In my head I say 'It's only food'! I remember hearing or reading somewhere that good old fashioned puddings like treacle pudding had their place filling up children and giving them the reserves to burn off energy. Though probably some children aren't active enough to do so nowadays. I dreamed of a bottle of cold Fanta on my birthday when I was young 😭 I still love hot chips as a treat. They are my weakness which I mainly manage to avoid but not always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another change is the amount of variety. My mum can quote her mums butchers order because they ate the same meals every week. I’ve been trying to scale back and just have the same 20ish meals on rotation. Nobody has complained.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a comment, your comments and sharing of your own lives with me means alot and I'll always endeavour to reply.

If you have enjoyed your time visiting us at Barradale Farm, please consider sharing this blog on your various social media platforms. It's free, only takes a second and is essential in helping keep blogs like mine going.

The big wide web relies on reader interaction to help the mysterious algorithm to recommend my blog to those also looking to simplify their lives.

Blessings to you and yours. xx

Powered by Blogger.