Christmas on the farm and some interesting links

Well, Christmas has been and gone and we are now in that lovely in-between period that exists between Christmas and New Year. Lots of shops are still closed for the break and Grant is home with us. The days merge into one another. I think it's Wednesday? Or maybe Tuesday. I'm not sure it really matters. 

Christmas day was lovely and relaxed. There were copious amounts of prawns for lunch, with plans for Christmas ham, cheeses, dips and nibbles after but we had our fill of prawns and skipped straight to dessert. What luxury!

Unfortunately, it seems I left my memory card out of my camera on Christmas morning, so there are no photos to share. But the joy remains in our hearts and our memories which is really the most important thing. 




I'm hopeless at remembering to take photos of meal times, it's a bit like feeding time at the zoo here. I remembered part way through serving. We did eat more than avocado on Christmas day, I assure you. Ha!

Dinner was steak for all, a real treat as our budget doesn't usually stretch to steak. No one wanted the oven on all afternoon to cook a roast as it was a hot day. The kids were thrilled with steak, homemade chips and salad. Perhaps not very Christmassy, but simple and delicious. There was trifle and Christmas pudding, chocolates and candy canes. We have been feasting on cherries, cheeses, ham and dips the last few days. 




While I have Grant home we are making the most of this time and starting on some garden projects, which is very exciting. Well for me at least. In the next post, I'll share our garden development plans. There are some big changes in the pipelines that will make the space cooler, prettier and joy to be in as well as far more usable. Though we have a farm, our "house yard" is not dissimilar to a typical Australian suburban block. However, our yurt takes up very little of it but that will change as we build the deck and add on to the yurt hopefully, later this year.

There is also afternoon swims to enjoy as we try to escape the summer heat. 

What are you up to during this in-between time?
Much love,
Emma
xx 

Interesting links
 
If you happen to have stumbled across my blog this holiday and are interested in making some changes to a simpler, more sustainable life here is an excellent facebook group to help you on your path. The members are kind and helpful and will encourage you all the way as well as happily answer any questions you have. 

This is a forum, similar to the Facebook page but a little more in-depth. You also don't need to be on Facebook to be able to access it which is a bonus for many. You simply need to make a member name and a password and you will be welcomed into a kind-hearted and friendly community. 

This is an excellent and beautiful tutorial for those looking to do some small handicraft items over the break. 

A great little family choosing a very different, gentler life. 

This is a wonderful shop filled with herbal teas and various dried herbs. There is an excellent section of medicinal herbs and I have it on good authority it's a great shop. I made my first order a couple of days ago so it is yet to arrive given we live rurally and most parcels take at least a week. 

If you're home with littlies these holidays you can't go wrong with play dough. I have tried many recipes over the years and found the one by the WA playgroup the best and easiest to make. Using fine salt will help the playdough to have a nice texture.

Looking for inspiration on how to use up Christmas leftovers? Well, here you go! 

6 comments

  1. oh the photos you have posted are wonderful, Emma and love and best wishes for the New Year to you all. The photo of Will and Elsie grabbing a nap is priceless!. Thank you for the link too, we've had some lovely new members join us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I thought with the quiet period between Christmas and new years that people would be reading books and reflecting on changes they might want to make in the new year and figured the FB page and the home makers forum might be encouraging places to go to get inspiration and encouragement. I know the old DTE forum was a huge help to me when it was running. I love the photo of Will and Elsie too, so sweet. xx

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a simply wonderful Christmas day to me Emma .. I think we should do what works for us. That river looks so lovely & cool & inviting. Its turned hot here now - I don't enjoy the heat so much & the poor garden suffers. Enjoy having Grant home to help you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't enjoy the heat much either, we have been madly watering. There is meant to be a cool change and some rain maybe tonight or tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it. I have some tender seedlings I'm trying to nurture through. We are looking forward to an afternoon swim once Grant and Will come back from running errands in town. I hope you had a lovely Christmas too Julie! xx

      Delete
  3. The best sort of Christmas is the one that suits you, yours sounds fabulous. Did you make the pretty quilt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree with you. Yes I did make it for Elsie out of scraps, though the backing was new pink flannel. All the kids have their own raggedy rug which I have made over the years. xx

      Delete

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a comment, your comments and sharing of your own lives with me means alot and I'll always endeavour to reply.

If you have enjoyed your time visiting us at Barradale Farm, please consider sharing this blog on your various social media platforms. It's free, only takes a second and is essential in helping keep blogs like mine going.

The big wide web relies on reader interaction to help the mysterious algorithm to recommend my blog to those also looking to simplify their lives.

Blessings to you and yours. xx

Powered by Blogger.